That means if Ray-Ray's isn't going to find a UAAP rule loophole to play again in 2014, isn't going to the NBA, isn't being elevated from BDO D-League team, there's a 100% chance he'd be picked first in 2014. This has to be the easiest #1 pick since the 2009 draft where Japeth was picked #1 by Air21... and you know the story; ever since that brouhaha, Air21, now known as Barako Bull, has never dealt with a MVP ballclub ever. Well, OK, maybe not on big-time deals.
So, since there's Tanking for Wiggins, why not our own PBA version? I present, the very-ripped-off-name Tanking for Ray-Ray! Guess what, the Lina teams are custom built to tank. Well they're just custom-built to tank, whether the #1 pick is Parks or a guy like Chris Banchero.
There are quite not-so-significant difference between the PBA and NBA in determining the draft order: first, the 14 teams that didn't make it to the playoffs all have a chance to win the #1 pick, with the team with the worst record having the highest chances. In the PBA, only the two worst teams will get a shot, and the teams are ranked on the basis of their finishing places in every conference, with the Philippine Cup having the heaviest weight. The team with the highest total (or had the highest weighted rank) gets a 67% chance, while the second-worst gets 33%. The team with the highest weighted average may not have the worst winning percentage.
This means we'd only get a clear view of the top "contenders" midway through the Governors' Cup, since we'd need the results of the 2 previous conferences, plus something from the third conference. We already did this last year.
Note on how the teams are ranked: the teams in ranked by first, the stage that they were eliminated, and second, their playoff seeding. So those eliminated in the elimination rank are ranked 9th-10th. Those eliminated in the quarterfinals are ranked 5th-8th, with the team with the highest seed that is eliminated being 5th. The teams eliminated in the semifinals are ranked 3rd-4th, with the higher seed that is eliminated being 3rd. Finally, the losing finalist is ranked 2nd, and the champion is ranked 1st.
This is different from the UAAP where the loser of the #1 vs. #4 semifinal is ranked #4, while the loser of the other semifinal is ranked 3rd.
|#||Team||Phil Cup||Com Cup||Gov Cup||Total||1st round pick|
|1st||GlobalPort||7th||2.8||10th||3.0||10th||3.0||8.8||Ginebra||Bobby Parks, Jr.|
|2nd||Meralco||9th||3.4||7th||2.1||9th||2.7||8.2||Rain or Shine||Chris Banchero|
|3rd||Barako Bull||6th||2.4||9th||2.7||8th||2.4||7.5||Barako Bull||Stanley Pringle|
|7th||San Miguel||4th||1.6||5th||1.5||5th||1.5||4.6||San Mig (via Barako)||Jake Pascual|
|8th||Talk 'N Text||5th||2.0||2nd||0.6||3rd||0.9||3.5||Barako Bull||Kevin Alas|
|9th||Rain or Shine||2nd||0.8||3rd||0.9||2nd||0.6||2.3||Rain or Shine||Ronald Pascual|
|10th||San Mig||1st||0.4||1st||0.3||1st||0.3||1.0||San Mig||Prince Caperal|
|11th||Expansion team||Rodney Brondial|
|12th||Expansion team||Brian Haruela|
|Team (Picked owned by)||Odds|
|GlobalPort (owned by Ginebra)||67%|
|Meralco (owned by Rain or Shine)||33%|
Trades involving draft picks:
- Barako Bull (previously Air21 and Burger King) owns Talk 'N Text's 2014 first round pick from a trade that sent Japeth Aguilar to Talk 'N Text, while receiving Barako Bull (now Air21)'s 2010 (originally acquired by Talk 'N Text), and Talk 'N Text's 2012, 2013 and 2014 first round picks.
- Ginebra owns GlobalPort's 2014 first round pick from a trade that sent Ginebra's 2013 second round pick (later turned out to be LA Revilla), and their 2016 and 2017 second round picks. As per the Inquirer report above, emphasis mine:
In the final transaction of the night, Ginebra traded its 24th pick together with the team’s 2016 and 2017 second round picks to GlobalPort for the Batang Pier’s first round pick next year. GlobalPort then selected La Salle guard LA Revilla to join their already-heavy backcourt. (RLeongson)The PBA.ph website also states that this was a first round pick:
November 3, 2013However, Globalport had denied that they had traded this pick.
Barangay Ginebra San Miguel – re-acquired its rights to its 2014 first round draft pick.
Globalport – acquired the rights to Ginebra’s 2016 and 2017 second round draft picks as well as 2013 third round pick (turned out to be LA Revilla).
- San Mig Coffee owns Barako Bull's 2014 first round pick from a trade that sent JC Intal, Jonas Villanueva and Aldrech Ramos to Barako. Barako originally acquired the pick from Petron (now San Miguel) on a trade that sent Dondon Hontiveros, Carlo Sharma and Chris Lutz to Petron for the pick, Mick Pennisi and Sunday Salvacion.
- Rain or Shine owns Meralco's 2014 first round pick from a trade that sent Ronjay Buenafe to Meralco.
Note that I may not have gotten all trades that involve draft picks, yet.